Confessions of a Reluctant Scooper

I like beer.

I like to travel to beer festivals and/or pubs to try beers from new breweries. Or beers I haven't tried before from breweries I know. I keep notes on the beers I drink. I give them a rating. Sometimes that rating makes it onto ratebeer. I keep tabs on what beers are around by reading scoopgen. I buy bottled beers from around the world; I swap bottles with other people, I bottle beer to take away from festivals and enjoy the next day.

So, it looks like I'm a scooper.

But.... I can visit a beer festival and only drink beers I've had before, ignoring dozens of beers that I've yet to try. I live in one of England's finest cities for scooping - Derby - but don't feel compelled to go out scooping even once a week. I'll always drink the beers I love at my local and won't even worry about missing out on a scoop that's on at the same time. I'm happy to sit at home with a bottle of acceptable continental lager on a hot day, rather than traipse across the country in the hope of scooping some Throxheards Old Unobtainable.

I'm a reluctant scooper. This blog will plaster its fat size nines across the fine line that weaves between ignorant alcohol consumption and borderline autistic ticking.

The pubs I drink in - and why you should as well. The over-rated beers, the hidden gems. All the fun of the festivals. Some photos, some gossip, plenty of over-opinionated twaddle.

It all comes down to making that decision: You can only drink one more beer today. You cannot bottle any and take it away. You have a choice of two beers.

One is one of your all-time favourites.
One is a new scoop.

Which one do you drink?

95% of the time, my answer would be: the first one.

Reluctantly.

2 comments:

  1. Hello. Do you know where I can buy some Throxheards Old Unobtainable?

    ReplyDelete
  2. As luck would have it, Greede King are rumoured to have taken Throxheards over, so Old Unobtainable will be available in a nitro-keg swilling den near you soon.

    Using almost the same recipe as the original (apart from the malt, hops, water and yeast) it'll be rebadged as Bury's Loose Stool Water.

    ReplyDelete