Bottled up: Grain Harvest Moon

And here's the first in a new series. I like having the odd bottle or three knocking around the house, so I thought it would be fun to share it out (in a virtual sense).

First up, from a recent trip to Norfolk, is Grain Harvest Moon, described by the brewer as 'a strong and hoppy golden pale ale". I picked up this bottle from The Real Ale Shop on Branthill Farm, Wells, where they grow the barley that features in many of the beers that they sell (including this).



The beer poured with a tall, rocky off white head and had a distinctly sharp, hoppy nose. It looked lighter than the photo shows (haven't quite mastered this beer-photo-lighting malarkey). Though it ends up looking flat, it has an itching feel to it that carries a pine note tempered with slight grapefruit. The aftertaste is that of grapefruit ten seconds after eating the last slice, with the flavour lingering then re-appearing every time you lick your lips.

I don't get the bubblegum that Garrat gets in his ratebeer review but I'll concur on that resinous feel and superb dryness. Good looking label, too; it's a Charles Rennie Mackintosh that this picture doesn't really do justice to. So, a good strong pale ale which, on cask, might rival some of my favourite IPAs like Thornbridge Jaipur. The next time I'm in Norfolk, I'll look out for more of this.

2 comments:

  1. Grain Tamarind IPA was my top British beer of the GBBF this year. Obviously a brewery to look out for.

    But why is 'Reluctant Scooper' now subtitled 'Rancid Ticker'?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I might have to adjust the font size... or perhaps I was thinking aloud about who I'm likely to encounter at Worcester BF tomorrow (not you, Gazza!)

    ReplyDelete