Coming soon... Thornbridge Julius



The beer wot I brewed. Well, the beer I weighted out hops for and then watched the brewer Matt Clark do all the hard work. And then watched my mate Ian Harrison clean out a mash tun. Whilst I drank a Thornbridge/Dark Star collaborative brew...

Julius is a citrus-inspired Summer Ale, full of Thornbridge grown herbs including Tahitian Lime Leaves, Lemon Balm, Lemongrass, Mint and Coriander seeds. Light and lemony on the nose with a hint of spice and honey. Biscuit characters dominate the mouth, with a hint of ginger and a soft mouthfeel. The finish is lightly bitter, a little dry and wonderfully thirst quenching.

Funnily enough, an exhaustive review wil feature here in the very near future ;-)

7 comments:

  1. Tell us more about the Thornbridge/Dark Star collaborative brew, you beast.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's an old ale being matured in more than one way. I think.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds very nice, I can see those botanicals working very well indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. tried and tested at the Coach and Horses...very enjoyable summer beer! The mix of herbs works really well with the hops. Will have to get a firkin for the Marble Arch.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dominic,

    You beat me to it! Was due up at the Coach on Sunday but couldn't make it... if you get it over at the Marble Arch, I'll come and try it there. Best pub I tried in Manchester/Salford on the recent ratebeer crawl and Dobber is sublime.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i hate to admit it, but you can brew. or at least you can weigh hops and let others do the hard work...

    not been too impressed by recent thornbridge offerings (sorry guys!), but this was pleasantly refreshing. citrus to the fore, and a decent bittersweet finish, long lasting lemon aftertaste, and bizarrely a slight suggestion of menthol!

    was off to bar to get another, it's run out. (harlequin of course)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Word is out that this will be in Kent this week (or maybe last week, I hope it wasn't last week...) I'll be doing the old 40-mile-round-trip-for-one-pint again I think!

    ReplyDelete