Not The Derby Beer Festival

Unchuffed by the selection and prices at the Derby CAMRA festival, I thought I'd trawl round a few of the city's choicer pubs to see what they had to offer.

Brunswick - 12 beers, tried Westerham British Bulldog, a sparklingly well-balanced bitter

Alex - 8 beers, tried Holden Midsummer Witch, sweet malts aren't really my thing sadly

Smithfield - 8 beers, tried Abbeydale Belfry, chock full of tangy hops and cool toffee notes

Royal Standard - 8 beers (some pumps were dry), tried Derby Hop Til You Drop, flatter than a very flat thing with some hops leaking out

Silk Mill - 8+ beers (didn't count properly), tried Harviestoun Schehallion and Thornbridge Kipling, both in good nick, the latter being 40p cheaper here than at the festival.

Flowerpot - 30 beers... so many it was tricky to read the board. Tried Lymestone Ein Stein, lots of fresh hay and fat pears.

So that's seventy-odd beers, most in decent condition, plenty of variety, plenty of ticker-tastic stuff and local favourites. And keenly priced, too.

Yet.... with grinding inevitability, I ended up in the fest. £1.80 was just worth paying for half a Fullers Vintage Ale. £1.60 was still too pricy for Kipling but I couldn't resist (and I was also buying it for a fellow Tweeter who'd never tried it before).

Verdict? The pubs win on range, quality and price. - the Flowerpot alone is worth travelling to Derby for. It's a real shame that the festival this year for me is just an average barstop rather than an exciting centrepiece of a grander Derby crawl.

1 comment:

  1. My memory's a bit hazy. Did I visit the Smithfield and the Royal Standard? Can certainly back the Flower Pot recommendation, could spend the weekend there no problem.

    ReplyDelete