Wishlist #6; Compulsory Morris Dancing at beer festivals

OK - sit back and relax. I'm going to say something and I want you to say the first thing that pops into your head. Ready.....?

Morris Dancers.

Hands up if you said any of the following;

- hankie wavers
- annoying
- pewter tankards
- really annoying
- ruddy fecking bells
- If you don't stop prancing about and get out of my way I'll be forced to reverse over you
- SHUT UP! SHUT THE FECK UP! I'M TRYING TO ENJOY A DRINK!

If you answered yes to all seven, congratulations! You are Gazza. Now off you go and enjoy a refreshing tankard of Phoenix Strawberry.

If you agreed with any of those sentiments, it's my job to convince you why morris dancing is something to be revelled in and should indeed be compulsory at beer festivals.

- Morris dancing is a treasured aspect of English folklore. Practiced since the fifteenth century, it's something to be proud of and kept alive. Unlike badger baiting.

- It's not just fat man waving hankies. Some of the most athletic and disciplined dancers I've ever seen - including ballet - have been in morris teams; the all-women's Pecsaetan Morris are a prime example.

- In fact, it's not just hankies. That's Cotswold morris. How about Long Sword morris (three guesses what they use). Molly dance morris often include brooms. And my favourite, Border morris, with its full-on black-faced stick-smacking big-band approach.

- it's actually fun to watch at a fest. Most bands at fests are woeful, at least morris dancers entertain and are often more than happy to share a beer with you. They may even let you have a try-out. They may even try to recruit you. You're in my team now, Dave....

- they have a party where teams dance for the fun of it with plenty of food and drink. And that's called an 'ale'.

Every beer fest should have them.

If you still need convincing, watch Black Pig in action here or visit their website

4 comments:

  1. Dammit, I'm convinced. Especially impressed by the Pecsaetan girls, who judging by their gallery (http://www.pecsaetan.co.uk/gallery) seem to have pretty much mastered the whole levitation thing...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to admit, I've never seen Morris dancing live (well, being from Ireland I wouldn't), but those Pecsaetan Morris look like pretty good ambassadors for it! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh dear, from the above it would appear I'm now Gazza. some traditions should be allowed to die - we got rid of slavery, now it's time to get rid of these prancing buffoons (and while they're going, they can take the sodding jazz bands with them!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I couldn't agree more. They really do bring the party.

    ReplyDelete