Bottled Up: Quantock Sunraker



It's dark and freezing outside, bonfire smoke and crap fireworks fill the sky and I've started wearing Toasties around the house. Time for a summer beer, then.

Quantock Brewery have been around for just about two years and Sunraker was first brewed last year, winning Somerset Beer of the Festival at CAMRA Somerset's 2008 festival. It's a fantastic-looking pale gold colour, with an evaporating head and an aroma that I can't quite nail at the moment.

There's some baked lemon flavours in there, carried on a creamy palate that seems odd on the first sip but makes perfect sense several gulps later. The drying finish is punctuated by floral leftovers; still creamy, a little bready, un-nervingly satisfying.

Now I know what the aroma is - almost. It reminds me of a beer I brewed with Thornbridge called Julius; we chucked all kinds of stuff into it, but there's something herbal in the nose of Sunraker that rings a bell. Almost minty, spicy... ish.

To be honest, the creamy feel got slighly cloying towards the end. Several pints from cask, in a beer garden, on a summers day may feel different, mind....

Thanks to myBrewerytap.com for the beer, which is part of their 52 Week Beer Club

2 comments:

  1. Yup, I agree completely! It's like looking to my left, seeing the same image and then reading the same thing in the notebook! Twilight Zone indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. For a moment I thought you were wearing toasted sandwiches on your feet. Now that would have been really Twilight Zone as I... well, nevermind.

    That sounds like a nice beer!

    ReplyDelete