BrewDogging #4; Dogma


Twenty-plus BrewDog beers that I could have picked out the box tonight and I get the one I get really dischuffed with. Arse.

Dogma is the reincarnation of Speedball, the Portman Group-bating beer of last year. The labels may have changed (see below) but the mad ingredients remain the same. There's guarana. There's Californian poppy Even kola nut and Scottish heather honey. Perhaps just a dash of leprechaun toenail shaving too. It all sounds like too much.

Now then, I've tried this on cask (at the Coach & Horses in Dronfield, one of those uber-rare guest beers amongst the Thornbridge handpulls). There, it was softly sweet with warming pepper and dulled herbal essences. Whereas every bottle I've tried has been akin to drinking an apothecary's floor sweepings that have been suspended in a caramel gloop.

How do I find it tonight? An aroma like Lockets from my old grandma's coat pocket. A surfeit of white pepper fights its way out. Plenty of caramel and honey as soon as the glass reaches my lips, but it's those waves of warming pepper that puts me off. The longer it lingers on the palate, the more sickly-sweet medicinal it becomes.

And then.... something happens. Well, it seems to after twenty minutes. The honey on the nose goes earthier, deeper honey in the flavour begins to arrest the pepper. Left to go flatter and warmer, Dogma takes on some of those rounder notes I found on cask.

Can I finish the glass? Do I want to? I'm only half way down, it's been nearly half an hour, and I honestly can't say .

In the meantime, here's a footnote (click on the pic to enlarge). The Speedball label that drew the ire of Portman is on the left; the revised Dogma one on the right. It's s shame that they didn't keep the line about it being "a light chestnut, slow motion rollercoaster of a beer".

2 comments:

  1. I would like to try this beer on cask as I found it difficult the three times I tried it in bottles as Speedball and now Dogma-- I actually just reviewed it yesterday on my blog: http://impymalting.wordpress.com/2009/11/04/poppy-appeal/

    As you point out, you keep wanting the honey note to bring the beer down to earth a bit. It needs grounding.

    Could the caffeine in the guarana last through the brewing process. I found myself with a kind of jittery-buzz going on which I didn't like, but have no idea if it was from the beer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "an apothecary's floor sweepings that have been suspended in a caramel gloop"

    Never tried the beer, but what a great line.

    ReplyDelete