(I Wish I Could Brew Like) David Watts

I know exactly why I included 'David Watts' on a recent compilation mix.

"fah-fah-fah fah-fah fah-fah-fahhh..."

That was my internal metronome, just as I'm on the cusp of becoming a casual, when you carried the tunes in your head, before electronics inserted them in there for you.

"fah-fah-fah fah-fah fah-fah-fahhh..."

On the train home from London the other week, drinking good beer and thinking about how the UK doesn't have a cult of personality when it comes to brewers but how there is a fair chunk of inspiration / desperation / unrequited manlove within the industry... here's one for all the doe-eyed acolytes out there.

"I am a dull and simple brewer
Cannot tell gueuze from old ale
And I have never met Greg Koch
And I wish I could have all he has got

I wish I could brew like David Watts
fah-fah-fah fah-fah fah-fah-fah...

And when I lie on my pillow at night
I dream I could brew like David Watts
And lead the brew team to victory
Hit my grav readings and pass the lot

I wish I could brew like David Watts
fah-fah-fah fah-fah fah-fah-fah...

He is the head of the brewery
He knows his RIS from his IPA
He is so keen and fancy-free
And I wish I could have all he has got

I wish I could brew like David Watts
fah-fah-fah fah-fah fah-fah-fah...

And all the geeks in the neighbourhood
Try to go brew up with David Watts
They brew their best but can't succeed
For he is of pure and noble breed

fah-fah-fah fah-fah fah-fah-fah..."



muso notes - it's where the velveteen sentiment of Ray Davies meets the staccato punch of Bruce Foxton. I loved it then, love it still, and now I love it even more having found this video from the heady days of Revolver (any of you pop-pickers remember that?)

3 comments:

  1. Remember it? I referred to it just the other day in a post about violence at demonstrations on my non-beer blog. I was referring to a ten-years-after compilation programme, but still.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hang on, it turns out I was thinking of something else. Not Something Else, I mean, <a href="http://homepage.mac.com/blackmarketclash/Bands/Clash/recordings/1976_77/77-11-15_Belle%20Vue/77-11-15_Belle%20Vue.html'>So It Goes</a>. Never mind.

    ReplyDelete