Wishlist #22; Craft Brewing, not microbrewing

In England, we talk of microbrewing. We define by size; by a volume limit, a taxation break. Microbrewers are seen as good, macrobrewers bad, with regional brewers caught between a rock and a hard place.

For me, size doesn't matter. Quality does. Looking Stateside, there's a true minority - 5% - of the brewery scene who are dwarfed by the Bud-Miller-Coors Goliaths. Small in market share, big in ideas and confidence. And they are proud to call themselves craft brewers.

Defining what they brew and how its brewed not by scale but by the passion and care invested into it. Brewing that involves "...innovation, independence, curiosity, collaboration, character and family".

A few breweries over here describe themselves in similar terms. Our homebrewing scene is guided by an organisation called the Craft Brewing Association.

I've rattled through a long wishlist this month. But I one wish I'd love to come true would be a shift in thinking; define the UK beer scene by the quality of the brewers and beers, not by their size. To be proud of a pint produced by craftspeople.

Saying you're a craft brewer is a statement of intent; a guarantee; a challenge. An inspiration to the consumer and an aspiration for the homebrewer.

What's in a word, you say? It's just another lame marketing ploy? Play the video below and tell me if you still think that craft brewing would be no more than a rebranding tag.

3 comments:

  1. Excellent video. Well done for both finding and posting it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I kno what you mean. I've been referring to independent breweries as 'Craft' recently and surprisingly no-one's pulled me up on it yet. Let's see if we can start something, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  3. (coming to this very late . . .) I tend to use the term at times, but I have found that some people think it's pretentious.

    I think it has its place though, as there are certainly some US & UK brewers for whom expansion has put them out of the micro size, yet they still adhere to the tenets of quality & distinctive brewing.

    (oh & of course, there are some micros who just don't brew good beer!)

    ReplyDelete