Bottled Up: Saffron Blonde

So, Bottled Up is back with the first offering plucked from the myBrewerytap.com '52 Week Beer Club' sampler. There's four 'summer ales' in there; the clocks may have just gone back but those beers will give me the chance to splash a little liquid sunshine into the autumn months.

My memories of Saffron beers are rather hazy. I know I've had one, during my brewery-scooping phase, but I can't remember anything that set it aside from the hundreds of other pale beers from new outfits that I tried. So it was fun to get reacquainted with the Hertfordshire brewer and this cool-filtered blonde.


First aroma impressions were of baked lemon and a surprisingly light maltiness. As it warmed there were hints of runny honey coming through, but also an occasional whiff of glue. More baked lemon on the palate, though, with a soft soapy mouthfeel.

Certainly one I'd try again. Makes me want cheesecake.... and I just happen to have some in the fridge. There's serendipity for you.

1 comment:

  1. Our local Budgen's (in Wendover, Bucks) has started stocking Saffron ales. Tried "Tiddly Vicar" (groan) the other night, and it was sadly thoroughly ordinary. Have a porter to try as well, so hoping that will be more interesting.

    ReplyDelete